Bustling & Babble: A Soundtrack Creation


Bustling & Babble

A Soundtrack Creation


Soundtracks come in a variety of pitches, frequencies, and meanings.  In the creation of my soundtrack, I aimed to design a sound piece that - much like my other work - came from a more unconventional angle.  

Being a nature lover, I knew I wanted to record nature.  Because my theme throughout this course has been about the conflict between nature and our modern world, I tried to put a creative twist on the sounds of nature by merging the sounds of the natural world, our modernized world, and time itself. 

While recording, I slowly brought my wristwatch closer and closer to the camera's microphone.  Initially, the listener can hear a bird chirping amongst the fall leaves rustling across the concrete road.  A couple seconds into it, the listener picks up a steady ticking noise produced by the watch.  The watch instigated a sense of strict and inflexible consistency, emphasizing that there is no going back in time and that every second is preciously wasted away.  Near the end of the track, the listener hears the engine of a truck rumble nearer, until it's sound quickly washes away as it continues out of the audio space. 

I wanted the track to sound more natural and less edited, so my edits were camouflaged.  Allow me to explain "camouflaged."  Despite the naturalistic and unedited sound, I actually edited this audio piece quite a lot.  If listened to closely, the listener can pick up that certain frequencies are exaggerated, like the birds and the ticking of the clock.  This piece is also played backward, as the original recording started off with the truck passing by. 

I made these edits to better transition the listener from a natural and calming auditory state to a machine-like noise that disrupts the natural flow.  

Below, is the link to my soundtrack:

Comments

Popular Posts