Psychodelic Fashion

Psychodelic Fashion

A Collection by Allison Marie Lemke


For my final project, I did something I have never done before: fashion photography.  My initial plan was to photograph street fashion, but due to the freezing weather, I had to move on to plan B.  

My sister modeled for me.  This was quite the experience.  I think it's because she is my sister, but it was insanely hard.  As my title states, I felt a tad bit like a psycho photographing her.  This was my first time working with a model - an inexperienced one, at that.  It was so difficult trying to get her to move fluidly and naturally.  Most of the time, she just sat there and looked blankly at me.  I was like, "Lane, you have got to give me SOMETHING."

I ended up shooting to photos in the Hurvis art studio.  I had picked out all the outfits, did her makeup, and utilized some props and accessories.  I took nearly three thousand photos and was only content with eleven of them.  Yikes.

I am rather hard on myself when it comes to my photography.  Since I am basically self-taught, I have no idea if what I am doing is "right."  I feel like my photos did not turn out well at all, but when I presented them, everyone seemed to be impressed.  Maybe I'm just lost.  I don't know.  

Since I am not well-versed in Photoshop, editing the photos was a bit tricky.  I had really cool ideas for the layout of the photos so they weren't just boring prints.  I messed around with a lot of hue, saturation, and vibrancy, though most of my final photographs were in black and white.

My original plan of making a magazine fell through, much like the rest of my expectation for this project.  At the last minute, I ordered a photobook, but it did not arrive on time and is actually still in the mail.  

 Perhaps I will give fashion photography another go sometime.  I learned a lot and am very thankful for Lawrence's technology!


Below are a couple of my favorite photos:





Comments

Popular Posts